Pioneer Memorial Gardens and the Founding Families of Hahndorf
The Pioneer Memorial Gardens located at 71 Main Street were opened in January, 1939 to celebrate the centenary of Hahndorf.
Further information regarding Hahndorf is available from the following:
There are also numerous Publications regarding the History and Heritage of Hahndorf.
Founding Families Place of Residence
Biographical information regarding certain persons mentioned in the text is available from the following external links:
Ships Passenger Lists:
Pioneer Memorial Gardens
The Pioneer Memorial Gardens Gateway
The Old Cottage which stood on the site of the Pioneer Memorial Gardens
The official opening of the Pioneer Memorial Gardens by Mr H. Homberg in January 1939 to mark the Centenary of Hahndorf
A list of the first founding families names can be found over the gateway in the Pioneer Memorial Gardens on the corner of Main Street and Johns Lane together with a bust of Captain Hahn, and a plaque which reads:
To the memory of
There are 54 families which formed the first settlement; 35 families from the "Zebra", 15 from the "Prince George" (18 November 1838) and 2 from the "Bengalee" (16 November 1838), and subsequently another 2 from the "Catharina" (January 1839).
Pioneers of 1839
Full details of all 54 families are shown in Hahndorf Founding Families Place of Residence.
On 9 April 1840, the above families resolved to purchase the 150 acres from Messrs Dutton, Finnis and MacFarlane, borrowing money at 10% interest to pay for that land plus additional land to be purchased from the Government at a later date.
In a letter dated 17 November 1841, Mr Hermann Koch stated:
Information from The Hahndorf Allotments Database.
|Old Lot No.||New Lot No.||Street No.||Street Name|
|SH 10||71||MAIN STREET|
|Year Sold||New Owner||Occupation||Owner's Home||Personal|
|1a||1849||Joseph Remfrey||mining captain||Kanmantoo||Land grant.|
|1853||Christian Jaensch||farmer||Hahndorf||GRO title. LTO title 1859.|
|1877||James Gates||farmer||Callington||Brother-in-law of C Jaensch.|
|1893||Gottlob Jaensch||farmer & butcher||Salem-on-Bremer||Brother-in-law of J Gates. Died 1898.|
Wilhelm Jaensch &
Executor. Son of G Jaensch.
Executor. Son-in-law of G Jaensch.
|1899||Wilhelm Jaensch||farmer||Murray Bridge||Died 1936.|
|1937||George Jaensch||farmer||Tailem Bend||Son of W Jaensch.|
|1937||Mt Barker District Council|
1850 - J Remfrey divided SH 10 into three sub-lots: Sub-lot 1: Pioneer Gardens; 71 Main St; Haebichs Lane; Hunt Road; Johns Lane. Sub-lot 2: 73-75 Main Street; Haebichs Lane; Hunt Road; Johns Lane. Sub-lot 3: Haebichs Lane; Hunt Road; Johns Lane.
Further heavy sub-division of the original three sub-lots: Sub-lot 1, Sub-lot 2, Sub-lot 3 categorised as Sub-lot 1a etc, Sub-lot 2a etc, Sub-lot 3a etc.
Sub-lot 1a - 521/119 current title. Site of the Pioneer Gardens.
Sub-lot 1b - 2405/625 Metric title. On the same title with No 73 Main St.